Thursday, August 19, 2010

"...just go ahead let your hair down."

Last night I went to see Corinne Bailey Rae one of my favorite singing artists at this little whole in the wall venue in downtown Austin called La Zona Rosa.  It was standing room only.  I don't think I've been to a "standing" concert since I was in my twenties.  We arrived early and I staked out the perfect spot up on a miniature stage made of wood.  The rest of the warehouse like structure had concrete flooring...I mean like concrete you find in the middle of the street.  I thought the wood would be a little more forgiving than concrete.  At the end of the night my feet were thankful.  The joint did have top of the line Belvedere vodka at the bar, to which I added cranberry juice and a splash of orange.  Yum!

She comes out on stage, a presence of  beauty, grace, youth and energy, looking like a teenager at the age of 31.  Yes...I was envious! (Smart cookie, must have no children.)  She starts to sing, her voice so smooth, sultry and pleasing -I was transported to another place.  I danced and swayed with my eyes closed, arms swaying, hips twirling like I was the only person in the room.  It was a natural anti-depressant. My high wasn't just the vodka or the amazing music...it was the thrill of having a real, live, adult moment in time.  Moments like this make all the details that I have to endure each day, just a little easier to take.  I danced because I was happy.  I danced because I was free.  I was an individual, a grown up...with a life, not just an Aspergers mom.

This was a culmination for a week that I got to be a grown up on three different occasions.  First I went to a movie premier of  "The Dry Land" an independent Sundance Film, written and directed by a local Texas artist, Ryan Piers Williams, and executive produced by his fiance America Fererra.  This was a script to screen event where we had the opportunity to speak with them after viewing the film.  I actually had the opportunity to ask the last question of the evening and speak directly to Ryan and America.  We had a positive exchange and shared a few moments of laughter.  For that moment I felt like, hey, I'm not totally brain-dead.  I can actually have a productive conversation with these young artists.



A couple of days later, my husband and I had an evening out with another couple, where we had drinks, hors· d'oeuvres and pleasant adult conversation about a variety of subjects, sans interruption from children who are wondering why they aren't the center of your universe every waking moment of your life.  

My exuberance at the concert last night was about the realization that my life has its difficult moments, however I am blessed.  I have a husband who loves me and stands by my side even when I'm not likable, which is often.  We can still have a good time together, forgetting if just for the moment, what an arduous task we have in raising our children. We can still get our groove on!  We have to make a concerted effort to find the simple things in life that will bring enough pleasure to mitigate the pain.   


Thank you Ms. Rae...I let my hair down and it meant more to me than you'll ever know.