Thursday, March 10, 2011

SHORT ORDER COOK

7 a.m.:  I pull my self out of my dream state of consciousness and I hit the snooze button.  Of course, I would prefer to stay in this dream state.  It's so much more fun than my reality, but hey...I have responsibilities. Ugh!

7:15  a.m.:   I wake the boys gently and ask what they would like for breakfast.

7:20 a.m.:   I am sorry I asked this question because of course, they want 2 different things.  Blue wants oatmeal.  Red wants Cream-of-Wheat.

7:30 a.m. I find myself standing in front of the stove wondering...What the hell am I doing? What am I a short order cook?  Why am I dirtying two different pots to make two different kinds of hot cereal? Of course, I couldn't possibly make it in the microwave.  It may come out too lumpy.  We can not dare have any lumps! 

Well...here's the story:

Blue is on a food escapade right now and I am strongly encouraging his venture into trying new, healthy foods.   Oatmeal is the latest conquest.  It's so much better than sugary cereals or waffles with syrup, so of course I indulge him.  Besides, this kid is so darn good.  He does whatever I ask, with little complaint.  He takes care of his business and is such a good student.  He deserves a hot breakfast in the morning from his mama.

Red...of course is another story.  He just got into Cream-of-Wheat a few weeks ago and he loves it!  At first the two of them were eating it together (only one pot to dirty).  Then, Blue ventured into oatmeal, and Red so far, is not willing to come along for the ride.  I continue to make him Cream-of-Wheat because it gets him out of bed in the morning!

I say to him, "Come and get this while it's hot or I'll have the hot breakfast, while you eat cold cereal."
"NOOOOO!" he screams.

He's downstairs dressed and ready to go within two minutes! He's been on time everyday since I started making it.

Oh did I mention, they also want two different kinds of toast to go along with their hot cereal?

Welcome to Karen's Diner.  We open at 7 a.m. May I take your order?

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory