Monday, June 27, 2011

Playing Grown Up

I made this for my husband for Valentines Day
From the coffee house I call my husband who is off seeing a movie with a friend.  I swear his movie buddy gets more dates with him than I do.  I ask him to come and meet me.  We have a few hours of freedom why not take advantage of it?  This is rare and not to be taken for granted.  I mean it would be nice if we could go off on a vacation for two, but that's just not in the cards anytime soon.  So -we have to take our dates whenever we can get them.

By the way, Blue is off to the mall with a friend, for the first time --ALONE, no adult supervision.  My husband and mother are extremely nervous about this.  For some reason, I am not.  He is extremely responsible...such a rule follower.  I know that he will not only be o.k. but he will make sure his buddy stays in line as well.  Besides, he has his cell phone and I have him check in with me every 30 to 45 minutes on this 2 hour trip to the mall.

He does fine as I knew he would.  In fact, he comes home with a present for me and Nana (my mother).  He bought me some rare kind of stone in the "Earthbound" store.  I tell you...I love this kid!  He is extremely thoughtful, especially for someone who has Aspergers.  It almost makes me wonder if his diagnosis is correct.  He is definitely somewhere on the spectrum, but he is so different from his brother who absolutely only thinks about himself.

Back to my date...hubby meets me at the coffee house.  We have an uninterrupted conversation.  It's great. We leave my car behind and he takes me to Pappadeaux, a New Orleans style seafood restaurant.   We sit at the bar.  He has a beer.  I have a healthy pour of white wine.  We chat, watch sports, and have scrumptious appetizers...like real grown-ups.  This is a simple pleasure that feels like a luxurious indulgence because we don't get it often.  I am thankful for this moment.

Being the parents of two Aspie boys adds a lot of stress to our relationship.  You can loose your identity as a person and definitely as a couple.   We have to work hard to avoid this pitfall.

We come home and everyone is nearly asleep.   The two of us stay up late ...watching a movie together.  Another thing that we just don't get to do often anymore.  Again -a simple pleasure that makes me realize that we can still enjoy each other as adults, as a couple ...as grown-ups.

I really need your clicks for Top Mommy...my numbers are dropping into oblivion which is directly related to my identity and self-esteam :-D
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory